Gentlemen: Start Your Engines! It’s Men’s Health Week
Every year, the week leading up to Father’s Day is designated as Men’s Health Week. According to their official website, the purpose of Men’s Health Week is “to heighten the awareness of preventable health problems and encourage early detection and treatment of disease among men and boys.”
So… what can YOU do? Here are some ideas!
- You probably know that exercise is good for your body… but did you know it’s good for your brain, too? Plan a basketball game, wilderness hike, or frisbee day with friends or family.
- Trade in your hot dog for celery! Just kidding. Trade it in for a pork chop! Recent research found that eating processed meats can up your cancer risk by over 40% and put you at a higher risk for diabetes. The good news is that lean steak, lamb, and pork chops don’t seem to have the same effect.
- Make a dentist appointment. Or at least, start flossing. Did you know that gum disease increases your cancer risk?
- Drink to your health– in moderation, of course.
- If you’re out in the sun, cover up or put on sunscreen – death rates from skin cancer have risen dramatically for men in the past few decades.
- Get happy! Scientists have found that optimists live longer and stay healthier than pessimists.
- Get a free colorectal cancer screening kit– it’s one of the most commonly diagnosed cancers.
- One in six men is affected with prostate cancer- watch this video to learn how to reduce your risk.
- Not all healthy activities have to be onerous- lots of things that are good for your brain can be fun, like eating chocolate and doing jigsaw puzzles.
- Been awhile since you’ve been to the doctor? Time for a check up! Here’s a checklist for your next appointment.
- Like to cook? Make your family a brain-healthy meal.
- Give yourself the gift of a sharp and healthy brain with BrainHQ.